The casita will eventually be our main home. I'm going to move out of the RV completely and might rent it out or put it for sale. Part of me wants to keep it so we have the option of travel when we feel like it...or just a big bug out vehicle if the SHTF. Though...it's so expensive. I'll probably be better off selling it and grabbing a small trailer if I need one.
My to-do list after I get in is long. I'm still in the RV space at the commune because I don't have a long enough electrical cord to get to the RV connection a friend here put on the building for us. That comes Friday. We'll be moving over then.
After that we have a bunch of priorities. We're staying in the RV for the summer, probably, since it's too hot to do much work outside. We want to use the shower in the casita, however, so number one is to clean out the shower there and fix a big gaping hole in the fiberglass. I'm not sure how to do it. I'll take a picture and bring it to a hardware store.
Next, we want to be able to do our laundry in the casita. That means buying a washing machine and getting it hooked up somehow. We basically have to do this kind of stuff ourselves or find a good handiman. The village is too far for us to get installation type services from the stores (I think).
Once we have a washer, we need a good set up to hang dry our clothes. We can't get a dryer unless we upgrade the electric. I think we're fine without one.
All the brush has to get cleared out. Some of the trees are really close to the Adobe building, and are making cracks in the walls as their roots infiltrate. I had to get rid of one bush already that was blocking the area where we need to park the RV. I soaked the roots and then tied a rope to the back of the SUV and yanked it out. I'm guessing I'll just have to do this a few hundred more times.
The bushes have annoying spines, and I need gloves before I can continue. As for the cactus, of which there are many, those things will probably be allowed to live. I don't know how I can get them out without getting impaled by a thousand thorns.
Anywho...a list is probably a good idea:
- Pay for the membership
- Buy the Casita and deal with the things needed for transfer of ownership
- Get extension cord for the RV electric so we can move the RV over there
- Get Hughes Net Internet
- Fix and clear out the shower so we can start using it.
- Rip up the shrubs and weeds
- Get a washing machine and hook it up
- Get a shed to store all the supplies piled around the building
- Clean out the building and start setting it up to be a dwelling for us
- Get rid of the spiders
- Fix broken windows
- Put down flooring
- Install light fixtures/ceiling fans
- Install AC window unit
- Fix the back door (which is not secure)
- Fix the adobe cracks and leaking areas
- Put in a kitchen
- Purchase furniture
- Set up TV with Dish or DirectTV (probably Dish)
- Move in
- Fence the back yard
- Paint the front of the building like a Mexican Easter Egg
- Build chicken coop. Get chicks.
- Build a greehouse. Start aquaponics
- Get a flatbed trailer to tow with the SUV
- Get a carport as shelter for sheep.
- Get sheep
- Find someone who will kill the sheep when they're ready